Verde Leaders is a positive youth development program that combines soccer with Social-Emotional Learning, Restorative Practices and Mindfulness to help low-income youth find personal and academic success.
Adolescence is a critical time of growth that sets the stage for adulthood. But in Austin, opportunities for teens to learn and grow can be limited by family resources.
To build a community of students equipped with life skills and the support to become the next generation of leaders on the pitch, in the classroom and in life.
- Developed at Harvard University
- Evidence-informed by achievement motivation, adolescent development, and prevention science research
- TEKS and U.S. Soccer-aligned
- Afterschool Training. Verde Leaders runs free on-site, after-school training sessions twice a week. Students develop soccer skills and critical SEL skills, such as healthy communication and perspective-taking
- Community Events. On weekends and during school breaks, Verde Leaders brings together students and their families from across Central Texas to participate in camps, mini-pitch tournaments and community service projects.
- Austin FC Experiences. Verde Leaders students have the opportunity to meet Austin FC players and coaches, play at Q2 Stadium, and attend Austin FC matches – helping students see themselves as part of the Austin FC community.
- Burnet Middle School presented by DLA Piper and Solarwinds
- Dobie Middle School
- Webb Middle School
- Paredes Middle School
- Gus Garcia Young Men's Leadership Academy